Badwater 135

Race Invitation and Background

Race Course
I was extremely excited to announce in February 2018 that I had been invited as a runner for the Badwater 135 ultramarathon, 23-25 July 2018. When learning about this race for the first time, I was mystically fascinated with the event and challenge. I remember Stephanie saying “I can see you trying to qualify for Badwater someday”. She knows me well. Soon after, I placed this race as a long term goal and initiated the prerequisite process by signing up for my first of many 100 mile races in September 2014. Since successfully finishing that first ultramarathon while thoroughly enjoying it, I had been building my running resume to hopefully someday be invited to Badwater. So after 3.5 years, running over 7,700 miles, completing eleven 100 mile races while finishing in the top 10% except one race in the top 23%, I was in! Badwater 135 is promoted as “The World’s Toughest Foot Race”, 135 miles non-stop from Badwater Basin, Death Valley National Park, CA (282’ below sea level) to Mt. Whitney Portal (8,300’), covers three mountain ranges, and invitation only. I was grateful having the opportunity to pace and crew runner Mark Olson in 2016 and 2017 to add to my running resume, gather race experience including what the harsh yet beautiful desert environment offers, and provide realistic expectations as a future competitor. What an amazing race, runners, crews, and course. I excitingly expected resulting 2018 race memories to last a lifetime. For me, running is such a small part of the WHY. I truly enjoy meeting runners and crews from different parts of the world, making new friendships, learning WHY individuals are there with a few personally sharing WHAT they are running from, observing struggles and triumphs during the race, the competition, the experience, and learning more about myself. Luckily for me, Stephanie was there with me. Before the race, I’m not sure if she was as enthusiastic as I was especially since the race started late Monday night and I expected to finish sometime early Wednesday. By the way, Death Valley is slightly warm during July. So the planning and journey began, and life kept getting richer.

Badwater 135 - July 2018

Race Course
99 runners from 22 countries started the race.  I started in the 3rd and final wave Monday, 11 PM.  I was humbled to be starting in the same wave with the elite and professional runners. Since several of these runners are much more experienced, stronger and faster than me, I anticipated they would finish several hours before me.  Since the race doesn't provide any support along the course, runners must have a support crew.  My crew which includes pacers consisted of Andy Bussell from California who paced/crewed seven previous times and volunteered once, Matt Humes from Minnesota, this being his first Badwater experience and wanting to run himself someday, plus Stephanie.  This was my first race ever to use a pacer.  I typically run races solo with only support coming from race provided aid stations.  I was excited but realized I was about to subject my body to a new level of stress.   The cumulative effect of +120 degree daytime temperatures, total distance, elevation change of 20,700', hard asphalt running surface, and lack of sleep made this race my toughest physical and mental challenge to date.  I reminded myself discomfort is only temporary and I chose to be here.  At the same time, the enjoyment of competing, while in the beautiful but unforgiving desert was nirvana.  

Training Plan

16 week training plan, 764 miles run with 95,000' elevation change {average heart rate 149 BPM (high due to Alabama's summer heat/humidity), pace 9 min/28 sec per mile}, peak running week 14 with 65 miles (35 and 18 miles over the weekend), 25,422 yards swam, 760 minutes biked, 2,160 minutes walked, 800 minutes stairs climbed, heat training week's 12-16 including riding home after work with my vehicle's heat on high while wearing three upper clothing layers (max temp 140 degrees), mid-week afternoon running with two upper clothing layers, and sitting in dry sauna (~150 degrees) for 30 minutes between mid-week runs and 40-45 minutes during non-runs, body weight 123.5 lbs.  Interesting fact, I gained weight during heat training due to increased blood plasma volume.  This running mileage may seem excessive for the non-runners but is average for ultras.  The elite/professional runners will run 180-220 miles/week leading up to the race.

Race Goals

My first goal was to finish, second goal finish Wednesday morning after ~31/32 hours.  Most important, I hope that my long-term goal setting, dedication and sacrifices, and ultimate accomplishment will be a possible inspiration for my kids' someday as they face their own life challenges and goals.

image7.jpeg
Arriving at Death Valley National Park

Pre-Race

Saturday, 21 July, Stephanie and I flew to Las Vegas, picked up the rental Dodge Grand Caravan and Matt.  We stopped by a grocery store to purchase race supplies and then proceeded to Furnace Creek Resort, Death Valley National Park.
Sunday, 22 July, we drove to Badwater Dr. Ben Jones' house to borrow three large ice chests including several plastic containers from Mark Olson, and meet Andy in Lone Pine, CA.  Ben is a Badwater legend along with his wife Denise.  Both have been inducted into the Badwater Ultramarathon Hall of Fame.  Ben has three official finishes as well as training camp host and mentor to many Badwater runners.  We left Andy's vehicle at Bens with a few redundant items since you can only have one crew vehicle on the race course.

Panamint Spring Coyote
Badwater Legend Dr. Ben Jones


We then drove the 13 miles to Mt. Whitney Portal.  I wanted Stephanie and Matt to see the finish line during the day since I hoped to finish the race in the dark early Wednesday morning.  We then drove back to Furnace Creek Resort for runner check-in.  The drive to and from Furnace Creek is the actual race course and provided Stephanie and Matt a better understanding of what to expect during the race.

Runner Check-In

Runner check-in for wave three was 3 PM.  Andy and I had to show we had all mandatory race items (e.g., blinky lights, safety vests, poop bags, waiver forms, etc.) before I received my bib #67.  This was an opportunity to meet race staff, other runners, and purchase souvenirs.  I had my runner mug shot photo taken and then a picture along side the crew.

image5.jpeg
Runner Check-In
image6.jpeg
Badwater Store at Runner Check-In
Runner Mug Shot

Pre-Race Meeting

Runner Group Picture
Andy and I attended the mandatory meeting at Death Valley National Park Visitor Center, 5:30 PM.  This meeting for the runners and crew chiefs only and covers all rules and administrative items.  Excitement growing!  Following the meeting, all runners have a group picture made in front of the visitors center with all crews watching.


Race Day

Gear & Nutrition
I attempted to rest most of the day leading up to the start.  Later in the afternoon, the crew prepared the crew vehicle and organized race items and food.  I noticed Deena Kastor (bronze marathon Olympian and medaled in numerous world cross country championships and marathon majors) placing supplies in a crew vehicle outside our hotel.  She wasn't running Badwater, she was a crew member and pacer.  I was able to fall asleep for only one hour around 6 PM but continued to lay in bed to rest.  Around 9 PM, remaining race supplies including precious ice was loaded in the crew vehicle.  At 10 PM, we drove to the starting line at Badwater Basin.


image4.jpeg
Crew Preparing Vehicle

Loading Crew Vehicle with
Precious Ice


Crew Before Driving to
Starting Line (10 PM)

Badwater Basin - Starting Line

Naked at Badwater Basin
Weigh-In
Blinking lights on runners from waves 1 and 2 (8 & 9:30 PM) and the hazard lights of crew vehicles illuminated the path to the start line.  Once arriving at Badwater Basin, I was required to weigh-in and attach my GPS runner tracker.  Race Director Chris Kostman made a few official announcements, recognized each runner, followed by pictures and the national anthem.  I felt very calm and focused.  Surprisingly I was not nervous at all.  Chris counted down from 10 and then said "GO".  Runners were off; +110 degrees.  Little did I know until the end of the race, this year would record the hottest nighttime starting line temperatures to date.


Team



Wave 3 Runners



Start to Furnace Creek (Miles 0 to 17.5, 11 PM Monday)

I started towards the rear of the pack and settled into a comfortable running cadence but adhered to my plan of ~9min:35sec per mile running pace to Furnace Creek.  Elite runner Michael Jimenez passed me, we exchanged hellos, and I decided to run behind him and in front of elite runner Grant Maughan for several miles.  The plan was for my crew to leap frog me every two miles earlier in the race to provide fluids, food, and ice.  After two miles I had not seen my crew.  I began to worry they had vehicle troubles.  I started envisioning they had locked the keys inside the vehicle.  Concern was growing.  Finally they drove past me......relief!  Andy had stopped to run a coyote off the road as runners unknowingly approached.  After a few miles I noticed my ears were getting hot in an attempt to dissipate the intense heat from my body.  I would hold my handheld fluid flask with ice against my ears in an attempt to cool them and my body.  Stephanie maintained a running log including mileage, time, temperature, nutrition consumed, and general notes.  Average pace:  9min:50sec/mile.


Furnace Creek to Stovepipe Wells (Miles 17.4 to 42.3, 1:52 AM Tuesday, 23rd Place)

When I arrived at Furnace Creek, I walked a short distance and a race volunteer jokingly informed me "there is no walking in this race!"  I was in 23rd place but didn't realize this or any other placement status until Lone Pine, Wednesday.  I noticed the crew including myself were developing a more effective and cohesive routine as the race progressed.  As planned, at mile 25 I began a run/walk strategy (i.e., run 12 mins, walk 3 mins, repeat) as I have done in my previous 100 mile races.  At this point I began seeing more runners and their crew vehicles in the distance through the dry and hot desert night.  I realized I was getting close to wave 2 runners and their crews.  A few miles later, I noticed veteran Badwater runner Luigi Dessy sitting down with his crew and realized he was having issues.  After the race he mentioned he was extremely sleepy for some unexplained reason and unfortunately did not finish the race.  My body felt really good even despite the temperature.  I was careful not to run too fast and remain conservative early in the race.  Mile 22, urinated for the first of many times; color light yellow....good indication.  A short time later I noticed seven time finisher Mark Olson's crew car.  My crewing for Mark the last two years was instrumental in my acceptance to this race.  I saw my friend and fellow crew member Lisa Tufano who was again crewing for Mark and gave her a big hug.  A few minutes I ran up on Mark and walked with him a few minutes.  We both asked each other how we were doing and I proceeded down the road.  About mile 30 I began to get really hot.  This area seemed to be a hot spot.  This is the only time I remember perspiration running down my race during the entire race realizing later times were masked by water from my crew's spray bottle.  My leg muscles were very hot and the heat radiating from the asphalt road made it worse.  As a result, I asked for a wet cold wash cloth and water sprayer the next time I saw my crew.  This cloth really helped cool my body and provided a refreshing feeling.  I would wipe my face, arms, chest, and legs with the cloth and then would place the cloth on my head to keep it cool.  I know I looked like a nerd but it was functionally effective.  I was amazed how quickly the cloth would dry out.  I passed professional runner Sally McRae's crew vehicle on the side of the road.  Sally is an accomplished runner that I was familiar with from YouTube and social media.  Stephanie and I met her in our hotel lobby a few hours before the race.  Super nice.  I realized she must be having issues early in the race.  A little later I noticed runner Patrick Hrabos sitting at the back of his crew vehicle with his crew assisting him.  It seemed he was also having issues and he verified this at the post race pizza party.  He mentioned he had stomach issues, was throwing up, and hallucinating.
Peaceful Morning Twilight
The bright moon descended behind Tucki Mountain and I was able to see thousands of stars shining in the desert night.  So beautiful!  I mentioned to the crew I wish we had the song Peaceful Easy Feeling playing by the Eagles.  That is, "And I want to sleep with you in the desert night, with a million stars all around."  I was beginning to have the urge to poop so I informed the crew to place some toilet paper in a zip-lock bag in case I quickly needed to go.

Crew Vehicle
Approaching Stovepipe Wells
Around 5:30 AM the first signs of morning twilight over the mountains started to slowly appear.  I prefer running in the dark and realized the sunlight will bring oppressive heat.  As a passed the Sand Dunes, I passed veteran runner Frank McKinny who as wearing war paint on his face and then passed veteran runner Pamela Chapman Markle and exchanged pleasantries.  Pamela is such an amazingly, accomplished runner, Badwater 135 record holder for female age 60+, and just wonderful person.  Average cumulative pace:  10min:21sec/mile. 

Stovepipe Wells to Panamint Springs (Miles 42.3 to 72.7, 6:16 AM, 15th Place)

Ascent to Towne Pass
Runners & Crews Starting
Ascent to Towne Pass
Arriving at Stovepipe Wells, I stopped to walk, checked in at the 2nd time station, and Matt was eager to start pacing me.  This starts the first elevation climb of 4,956' for 17 miles to Towne Pass.  I continued my run/walk ratio until Andy informed me that the front race leaders including professional runner Pete Kostelnick (record holder for Badwater 135 and running across America) and elite runner and previous Badwater winner Oswaldo Lopez were about 1.5 hours and 30 minutes in front of me.  I surprisingly realized I was way too close to the front runners and needed to slow down so I throttled back.  My crew informed me that we were about out of endurance fuel Skratch and getting low on Tailwind.  This really surprised me and I realized I underestimated the amount I needed and how much more liquids I was consuming.  I changed my run/walk ratio to less running to more walking.  As the road grade increased, I modified this ratio again and again.  I continued having the urge to poop but elected not to stop at Stovepipe Wells but try to make it to Wildrose rest area at mile 51.4.  The sun was becoming more intense and the temperature was quickly rising so I decided to put on my white long sleeve shirt and cap with flap.  As Matt and I approached the rest area, I told him I was going to the rest room and I would be ready to go soon after.  After using the rest room, I felt so much better.  It was a regular poop and not the result of heat or an upset stomach.  Andy began pacing me now as the road grade gradually increased; therefore, I decided to walk when the runners in front of me were walking.  Basically, do what the other experienced runners were doing.


Forward Progress to
Towne Pass
This was Stephanie's first time to walk and pace me for a few miles.  At mile 57.3 (10:30 AM) we reached the top of Towne Pass.  At this point, Matt started pacing me down the mountain towards Panamint Valley and Springs.  It felt so good to run downhill.  I wasn't sure if I should continue my original run/walk ratio or not.  I decided just to run until I needed to walk.  My fastest running pace was around 7:30 mins/mile.  Matt complimented me several times on how fast I was running.  He was very enthusiastic and seemed to be having fun.  Stephanie's log notes:  "Hauling ass downhill!"  I passed elite runner  Harvey Lewis who has won Badwater 135 and 5 days early, just finished attempting to break the Appalachian Trail fastest known time record but unfortunately came up short by a few days.  He was still recovering from his 2,198 mile, 49 day journey.


I noticed there were golf ball size rocks on the road due to small rock slides.  Unfortunately, Matt tripped on these rocks and fell.  I heard him fall but noticed he quickly got back up.  I ran a short distance and began to walk so he could catch up with me.  Luckily for Matt and the team he wasn't seriously injured.  Matt and I came up on runner Micah Morgan and husband/pacer Cary from Birmingham, AL.  Stephanie and I met them Saturday evening.  After the race, Cary informed me Micah had run portions of the downhill at a fast 6:50 pace.  Wow!  Micah and Cary passed us and later Matt and I reached the flats of Panamint Springs dry lake bed.  The flats were welcomed since the downhill was punishing my quadriceps.  Here I experienced the hottest temperatures during the race.  About 1.5 miles from Panamint Springs Resort, Stephanie and Andy drove to the resort which is the 3rd time station.  Arriving at the resort, I noticed Stephanie and Andy purchasing more ice and water, and a crew food.  I checked in and continued walking by the resort while a race volunteer asked where my crew was out of concern.  Average cumulative pace:  11min:32sec/mile.

Panamint Springs to Father Crowley (Miles 72.7 to 80.6, 12:58 PM, 9th Place)

Panamint Springs, specifically Barker Ranch, is the location where Charles Manson in his followers were living when they were arrested in October 1969 for vandalizing a piece of government earth moving equipment within Death Valley National Monument.  At the time of arrest, the California Highway Patrol didn't realize the nine murders his followers had committed in Los Angeles during July and August.  Creepy!
Andy took over pacing responsibilities and carried a three liter hydration pack which was invaluable since there were very limited crew vehicle parking places along the course.  This was the most curvy and dangerous part of the course.  Since the grade was very steep, I walked most of this portion and ran whenever the course was fairly level.  Andy and I had plenty of time to discuss the race but also life.  I truly enjoyed the deep conversations we had.  As we approached Father Crowley's parking lot, Andy desperately needed to use the restroom.  As I passed the parking lot, Andy stopped and told Stephanie I was continuing.  Stephanie informed me that Michael Jimenez was having some issues and his crew was tending to him at Father Crowley.  First GPS watch battery runs low; switch to second watch.


Father Crowley to Darwin (Miles 80.6 to 90.6)

image1.jpeg
Cooling Down via Water Spray Bottle
Stephanie initially walked with me and later Matt assumed pacing responsibilities.  Matt and I began to run and very soon, needed ice and fluid.  Stephanie drove by and parked to provide us much needed supplies but desperately needed to go back and pickup Andy at Father Crowley.  She was concerned Andy would think she forgot him at his "rest stop".  We finally crested the mountain and were able to run the flats among the beautiful Joshua Trees scattered throughout the desert landscape.  There were at least two runners behind me within 1.5 miles.  These runners pushed me on.  Around mile 87, there was a rainstorm to our right and soon after, I national park ranger vehicle quickly passed us with with lights flashing.  I thought there may have been a medical emergency on the course but realized the ranger was closing a dirt road that meandered through the mountains and was about to be flooded by the rainstorm.  Even though most of this portion of the course was flat, I wasn't able to maintain my run/walk ratio of 12/3.  I just ran until I needed to walk.  I continued this until the end of the race.  Average cumulative pace:  12min:10sec/mile.

Darwin to Lone Pine (Miles 90.6 to 122.3, 5:23 PM, 6th Place)

Running Past Darwin Check Point
Consuming Fruit Cup
Darwin Turn-Off
Matt and I arrived at Darwin turnoff which is a dirt road that goes to the small community of Darwin and the 4th tine station.  Stephanie and Andy were talking to the race staff and after the race they mentioned they were peeping at the placement board to see were I was since cell phone coverage doesn't exist for most of the race.  They determined runner Brenda Guajardo was just a few minutes in front of me and Oswaldo Lopez 1hr:15mins ahead.  I ran past the turnoff and the next 28 miles are downhill.  When running, my average pace was around 9:45 min/mile.  My body felt good except the top of my left foot was slightly painful and one of my right toes was developing a blister.  I was concerned that my left foot's metatarsal might break as I've had a fracture there before.  Oh well, I wasn't going to stop so I continued.  It's amazing how you can consciously not think about a body part that is bothering you and the pain/sensitivity goes away.  My knees were never sensitive nor sore during the entire race.  Since I was running well, my pacers needed a rest so they remained in the car.  I enjoyed the solitary running for a short period of time and my pacers deserved a much needed break.  We still had a long way to go.  There was a large thunderstorm in the distance with rain and lightning.  It wasn't too close so no concern as long as it didn't get closer to us.  One of the most memorable parts of the race since I'm an aviation enthusiast was the flyover by naval jet fighters from China Lake Naval Air Station.  Every year the fighters will buzz the runners in show of support.  Around mile 95 I could hear but not see the aircraft flying in the Panamint Test Range.  Then two aircraft appeared at 3 o'clock strategically flying low around the mountains.  They lined up using the road as if they were going to strafe me.  I began waving my arms with true excitement.  They passed over me by only 200 feet and then banked hard left pulling several Gs!  I needed this to re-energize me and it did.  Goosebumps.....just awesome!  Then they came back around for a second and final flyby.
Approaching Keeler
Running Solo Leaving Darwin

As I continued to descend into Owens Valley, I could see Mount Whitney and the other three +14,000' mountains in the distance including the community of Keeler at mile 108.  Distances are very deceiving in the low humidity environment.  That is, destinations seem much closer than they are.  At this time, I ran up on one of Brenda's crew members and she ran with me a short distance.  Brenda's crew including mine couldn't locate the 100 mile mark but Andy knew the general area.  My time at this point was around 20hrs:15mins (7:15pm).  I was very pleased with this time considering going up and over two mountains in the hot environment.  Runners Eric Hunziker and Michael Jimenez were very close behind me 6 and 33 minutes respectively.
Pacing Selfie
Enyo Mountains and Alabama Hills
(Picture Taken Before Race)


Sunset
The sun began to slowly set behind the mountains and was just gorgeous.  Soon, cooler temperatures prevailed.  We saw the moon rise and illuminate the sky for the second night.
We could once again identify runners and their crews with their blinky lights.  I began to get very tired around mile 110.  I mentioned this to the crew numerous times.  "I'm tired."  Crew, "you should be."  I made sure I never complained and verified this with Stephanie after the race.  This was the beginning of several low points for me.  For the first time my stomach resisted additional sugary fluids/food and I was slightly nauseous.  Stephanie gave me an anti-nausea pill which helped greatly.  I began just asking for ice water but the crew knew I still needed calories since I had 25 miles to go including the steep climb to Mount Whitney Portal.  I also began to slur my speech and my balance was off.  I tried not to stop while the crew squirted me with cold water and gave me fuel; however, when I would walk, I would easily stray from the road's left white line.  I realized I really needed the crew's assistance.  Matt did an excellent job keeping me close to the white line.  Several times I would begin drifting towards the center line and Matt would caution me and sometimes physically pull me back to the left side of the road.  I found myself staring at the white line shining in the moonlight while running.  It would almost put me in a trance; therefore, I would force myself to look away.  That white line became a magnet for my tired eyes.  For several miles when approaching Lone Pine, Eric Hunziker's crew car would pull next to me and park while waiting on Eric.  As a result, I knew Eric was close behind me but wasn't sure exactly how close.  There's a lot of racing strategy including strategic actions by the crew using their car.  If this strategy action was deliberate, it helped push me down the road and made the race more exciting.  Stephanie commented after the race they withheld a lot about my relative placement to assure I ran my race, instead of chasing others.  They did however hint at the fact that I was moving up in the field and doing really well. "I'm tired".  Lone Pine was slowly approaching and glowing in the distance.  We could see runners and car lights climbing the last few miles up to Mount Whitney Portal.  So close but still so far away, especially time wise.  Andy began pacing me when we were two miles from the Dow Villa Motel, race headquarters, 5th time station, and where we had rooms reserved.  Stephanie and Matt proceeded into town to get gas, soup for me, and check into the Dow Villa Motel.  Andy told me that I was doing really well, in sixth place, and could finish under 30 hours if I continued pushing forward.  I thought I could have been in the top 15 but sixth place, wow!  This was great news and motivated me to run faster and walk less.  I had consumed two cans of soup, unfortunately no more cans left, since leaving Keeler and it provided much needed calories and energy.  My crew realized I needed more calories to prepare for the upcoming Mount Whitney Portal ascent.  Mission:  get soup!  Stephanie purchased turkey soup from the "black cauldron" at the Chevron gas station in Lone Pine and I drank the broth.  When I saw the Dow Villa Motel sign brightly glowing through peaceful night, I was so excited.  As we approached the Dow Villa Motel, there were about 10 people outside cheering me on.  I walked by while checking in and said thank you.  Pushed on.  Average cumulative pace:  12min:16sec/mile.

Lone Pine to Portal Road (Miles 122.7 to 131, 12:06 AM Wednesday, 6th Place)

image2.jpegAndy and I ran through town and turned left onto Whitney Portal Road.  Now only 13 miles to go with 4,700' of elevation gain.  I ran very little going between here and the finish line.  Mark Olson's crew vehicle drove passed us heading down the mountain while Lisa yelled encouraging words to us.  That really helped me push forward.  We were moving through the Alabama Hills which are on the slope of the Sierra Nevada mountain range.  These Hills are best known for their television and movie filming location.  The Lone Ranger, Bonanza, Tremors, Gladiator, Hopalong Cassidy, are just a few examples.  I was actually disappointed I had never experienced hallucinations during this race which many runners and crews do as a result of the heat and sleep deprivation.  I tried staring at the rounded rock formations and their moonlight shadows through the night in hopes of maybe seeing a dragon, haint, or some unknown creature......sadly nothing.  We would come up on runner Brenda Guajardo's crew car and the car would move forward up the road.  Andy speculated the crew was watching me and reporting to their runner my status.  A few mile later including the last 6 miles until the finish, Stephanie began pacing me which was all walking.  We saw Benda's crew car a short distance in front of us and I told Stephanie when we get beside the car I planned to run fast as I can hoping they would report this and maybe their runner would start running resulting in slowing later so maybe I could catch her.  It never happened.  Brenda finished 5th place, 1st female, 57 minutes before me.  Stephanie primarily drove most of the time but wanted to walk with me more; however, since I continually pushed myself and the crew, she had very few chances.  This time with Stephanie was special.  She continuously provided encouragement to me.  As we approached the 6th and final check point (i.e., Portal Road), the road steepness increased even more.  Average cumulative pace:  12min:48sec/mile.

Portal Road to Finish (Miles 131 to 135, 2:57 AM, 7th Place)

Approaching Mt. Whitney Portal
(Picture Taken Before Race)
Portal Road
(Picture Taken Before Race)
I remember one race volunteer at the 5th and final Portal Road time station. She came across the road, I gave her my bib number, and proceeded quietly up the road with Stephanie.  Now only 4 miles until the finish line.  "I'm tired."  Since my balance had not improved, I deliberately stayed several feet to the right of the left white line since I was concerned about falling over the mountain.  Realistically not a valid concern except when you're extremely tired.  Stephanie would walk on the white line as mandated by the race rules but this made me very uncomfortable.  We could see runners and crew vehicles below us through the Alabama Hills.  I realized a runner was approaching me but I didn't have the energy to prevent them from passing.  It was professional runner, Pam Smith and her pacer.  We exchanged "good job" and she quickly power walked pass me.  She looked strong and fresh.  Me, a combination of Frankenstein and the walking dead.  Pam ultimately finished 6th, 33 minutes ahead of me.  Andy reassured me that the next closest runner was at least 1.5 miles away.  After the race, I determined this was Eric Hunziker.  Following the race, Eric informed me he was falling asleep while walking this last portion of the course.  I was now averaging ~20-21 mins/mile pace........slow death march.  "I'm tired!"  Stephanie insisted I eat so I ate eight cheese crackers until the finish.  I repeatedly asked Stephanie "are there any runners closely approaching us?"  I didn't want to get passed again especially so close to the finish.  The view of the sky and landscape beneath was magnificent at this elevated point.  The moon had set behind the mountains and the stars were brightly shining.  The aroma from the trees was a welcomed sweet and pleasant treat.  The mountain's white granite rock face was glowing in the night and seemed to be reaching towards the Milky Way.  Andy and Matt were waiting at mile 134 and Andy mentioned "only one mile left!"  Andy and Matt drove to the finish line, parked, and as planned, met us a short distance from the finish line.  We, as a team, were going to finish together!  About 100 yards from the finish, we met and the road gently turned to the right and I saw the finish line.  I said we would start running 20 feet from the finish line.  I tried to run and then said, lets run 5 feet from the finish line.  I then knew I had given it my all and left nothing on the course.  Finish:  29hrs:20mins:44secs, 7th place overall (Wednesday, 4:20 AM).  Second GPS watch battery dies.

Team Finish (Wednesday, 4:20 AM)

Race Director, Chris Kostman

Crew

Badwater 135 Finisher's Belt Buckle

Badwater Veterans' Art Webb &
5th Place Finisher Oswaldo Lopez

Dow Villa Motel, Lone Pine, CA
(Race Headquarters)

Post Race Pizza Party

Lo-Inyo Elementary School, Lone Pine, 7 PM Wednesday.
Race Director, Chris Kostman
Finishers Recognition
Post Race Pizza Party


Final Thoughts

image2.jpeg
Inside Jake's Saloon
Celebration at Jake's Saloon
I would like to thank my wonderful and dedicated crew.  My accomplishments would not have been possible without them.  This race is a definitely a team effort.  My pre-race requests to my team were to get me to the finish line, don't turn on the vehicle's air conditioning, only positive feedback and energy (i.e., no complaining), enjoy the experience, and have fun.  All boxes checked.  I still believe this race is just as tough on the crew as the runner.  I just had to run; the crew did all the work.  The heat and sun were highly intense as I knew they would be; however, I felt they were always manageable.  I ran based on how my body felt; fortunately, it felt good most of the race.  Following the race, Stephanie gave me a hard time and reminded me what I told her on what to expect during the race.  "Stephanie, you can take naps during the race, get real food at these locations, take a shower and/or bath in this creek, etc."  She and the crew didn't have time for this since I continually pushed forward and never wanted to stop.  My expectations and her reality were not the same.  Luckily we could laugh about the discrepancy.  I would also like to thank my family for their support and patience while I trained, fellow runners for pushing me and hopefully I may have pushed them too, veteran Badwater runners for being so humble, gracious, and encouraging while providing me Badwater race lessons learned and suggestions, other crews offering encouragement during the race, race director Chris Kostman, race staff and volunteers, and Death Valley National Park Service. My Badwater 135 debut and resulting placement was a personal milestone that has provided grateful self pride and confidence, but not arrogance.  The people I met, previous acquaintances becoming friends, the sights I saw, the thrill and excitement of competition, and the emotions a felt will provide memories for a lifetime. It really is about the journey. Worlds toughest foot race......it was for me.


Post Race Elephant
Feet & Cankles

The Numbers


  • Finish time:  29hrs:20mins:44secs
  • Placement: 7th overall, 5th male
  • 1st +50 age group finisher
  • Average pace:  13min:3sec/mile
  • Average age of finisher's 1-6:  37.5 years old (my age 51)
  • 99 starters
  • 69 finishers (30% did not finish, one of the highest did not finish rates in race history)
  • 48 hour cut-off time
  • Hottest nighttime starting line temperatures yet recorded, 118⁰F for wave 1 at 8 PM; hottest daytime temperature was 127⁰F
  • 21 bags of ice (210 lbs)
  • Race weight:  123 lbs
  • Gained 6 pounds following the race mostly due to fluid retention in lower legs and feet
  • Slept 1 hour during 48 hours.  Never got sleepy, just extremely tired
  • Only able to sleep 5 hours Wednesday (3 hours following the race plus a 2 hour nap) 
  • 14th straight ultra race without changing shoes/socks (never changed during any race)
  • Blisters under 3 toenails; eventually lost toenails
  • Lower legs and feet swollen for 4 days
  • Fingernails didn't grow for 1.5 weeks following race








Race Time Splits










Alabama Hills & Mount Whitney

Death Valley National Park News Release

World’s Hardest Foot Race Gets a Little Hotter 

DEATH VALLEY, CA – On July 23-25, ninety-nine of the world’s toughest long-distance runners participated in the legendary Badwater 135. Even by Death Valley’s standards, this year’s ultramarathon was hot.



The annual summer race is widely recognized as “the world’s toughest foot race.” Extreme athletes from 22 countries and 22 American states faced off in a grueling 135-mile non-stop run from Death Valley National Park to Whitney Portal, CA in scorching temperatures.


With the hottest start line temperatures yet recorded (118⁰F), the racers began at Badwater in Death Valley National Park in three waves at 8:00pm, 9:30pm, and 11:00pm on Monday, July 23. It remained over 110⁰F through much of the first night of the race, eventually dropping to 95⁰F just before the sun came up and temperatures climbed up to 127⁰F. 


With that brutal first night behind them, many runners struggled to meet the first time cut-off at mile 50.5, located approximately halfway up Towne Pass. Beaten down by the heat all night, which was also unusually humid, many were forced to stop to cool off in their support vehicles and were experiencing stomach issues and more.  


As the new day began, the racers were climbing the 17-mile-long, 5,000-foot ascent of Towne Pass, as temperatures climbed to 127⁰F, setting a Death Valley temperature record for the date. The 135-mile race route includes three mountain ascents (Towne Pass, Father Crowley, and Whitney Portal), totaling 14,600 feet of elevation gain. 


Twenty-two of 32 women and 47 of 67 men finished the race and earned an honorary belt buckle. This year’s winner, Michele Graglia, finished in 24:51 hours. The fastest woman was Brenda Guajardo, finishing in 28:23 hours. Sixty-two-year-old Pamela Chapman-Markle set a record in the women’s 60+ age group for the third year in a row with a time of 34:30. 


Thirty of the 99 competitors were not able to finish the race this year, the lowest completion rate in the 41-year history of the event. This high “did not finish” (DNF) rate was likely due to the unusually high temperatures.  


The vast majority of those who withdrew were veterans of the race and yet they still succumbed to the challenges of the course and the conditions. Notable “DNFers” included 2015 and 2016 champion Pete Kostelnick and 20-time finisher and four-time champion Marshall Ulrich. 


“I’ve never seen such an astonishing number of withdrawals from the race. It was heartbreaking to see these incredible gladiators forced to withdraw from the race due to time cut-offs or because they succumbed to the incredible challenge of the race course and the extra brutal weather unleashed by Mother Nature,” commented Race Director Chris Kostman, who has helmed the race since 2000. “Of course, this race is widely known as ‘the world’s toughest foot race’ and the athletes intentionally come to Death Valley to compete during the hottest part of the year. They, and their personal support teams which leapfrog along the course to provide aid to the runners, know what they signed up for and they relish the challenge, even if they meet with DNF. In fact, seeing so many incredible athletes having to withdraw only underscores how fortunate and life-changing it is to actually finish the Badwater 135,” he continued.

Links:  

Badwater 135:  http://www.badwater.com/event/badwater-135/
Race Results:  http://dbase.adventurecorps.com/results.php?bw_eid=85&bwr=Go
MAProgress (Runner Tracker Playback)https://badwater135-2018.maprogress.com/
AL.com Article:  https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.al.com%2Fsports%2Findex.ssf%2F2018%2F07%2Falabamians_scorch_the_field_in.html&h=AT24lFL7G4zONZMz3UAQR-5isXPQ665sB-dJllg1x5ulZSpQkWdFEI0ww0147Hhf_nJUwqpdKAx4B1p-AKg9Dz_I7cDVkE_lAKQ-8PyOgKB_7BMcV5jdkOngmwsEvl_cceIkR2PSqk_Mb7r7oTpNNOVD
AMRDEC Public Affairs Article:  https://www.army.mil/article/209883/
Fleet Feet Interview:  https://www.facebook.com/FleetFeetHSV/?hc_ref=ARQQ8wQ7gW5pY8KcJH0tdWH_ItcR2lJ6zmvJmP6_-pWyGbGsFMcTfQlWA_c_nJ4MoVw&__xts__[0]=68.ARC0Eq3cg6KXure4x-cZ3yXI-QnLexKA1PGiM9sf7c1bPpqJpHzow_rcDsaapm52VHKvJc7m0MZ_TTPGdFs4aGn43XO_Kk8bitdhf6XcGc5tGi_cJ8McJt8Pev48jYYSkIcgFJhYMxop&__tn__=kCH-R





























2 comments:

  1. Steven, You have surpassed amazing, a super amazing person and runner who does not quit. Your spirit will not be defeated, the challenges you take on are overcome, your planning and training provides the foundation for superb achievement, your determination through physical pain and emotional swings appears to be accomplished without the slightest wavering. I am so very proud of this man...my friend forever. Respectfully, Sam Cooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read here! Congrats again:) reminds me a lot of my first Badwater. I wasn’t sure what to expect either but you approached the race humbly but trained well and with a great crew and with that if all lined up well wonderful things can happen! What a blessing:)) really great read, loved the details. Catch ya down the road Brother!

    ReplyDelete