Vermont 100 Mile Endurance Run



My first posting since completing Vermont 100 (July 18-19 2015).  I would like to thank Stephanie and the kids for doing a wonderful job crewing and being so supportive and encouraging throughout the entire race, coaches Kathy and Rob Youngren for my training plan and answering my pre-race questions, Dink Taylor's Vermont 100 lessons learned, and everyone else's positive comments before, during, and after the race!  I'm very touched.  Vermont 100 was my 3rd 100 miler and my first with significant elevation change (over 28,000').  As expected, this race was my most physically demanding challenge to date.  Bottom line, I was humbled and the course kicked my butt!  The race started at 4am Saturday and the course ran through the hills/mountains of Vermont.....beautiful!   Certain course portions and conditions were the worst I had ever experienced.  I'm very reluctant to mention the bad course conditions, especially what I experienced later in the race, since I realize several Huntsville runners have experienced much worse but the worst for me.  The course was exposed to rain, thunderstorms, sunshine, warm temperatures, fog, horses and horse manure, and bright shining stars.  Yes, I said horses.  The race course also includes 100K runners and horses with riders. 

The runners were really good athletes with several from other countries.  I ran a few minutes with a runner from Hong Kong.  Just like previous races, I learned so much and will apply lessons learned to future races.  Since this was my first race with lots of elevation, my race strategy wasn't clearly defined; therefore, I decided to run based on how I felt.  My main mistake was I started way too fast and my body and pace suffered later in the race.  Dink warned me not to start too fast.  I'm still an apprentice.  The start of the race and first few miles were so exciting!  Running trails in the dark, slight mist and fog, with 318 head lamps shining in the night.......just awesome!  That's the experience that will keep me signing up for more 100 mile races.  I just wish others including my kids could experience that feeling too someday.  What a natural rush and high!  Just like other races, I was preparing my body for the last 20 miles.  The last 20 miles were extremely tough and frustrating.  Frustrating since I generally always finish strong and pass other runners towards the end.  This time, I didn't pass anyone the last 20 miles except for one runner at the last aid station who was having issues; they all passed me.  It was easier for me to run up hill towards the end of the race instead of walking.  My walking was so slow; I was actually embarrassed.  I would turn around, see runner's head lamps shining through the night's fog, advancing towards me.   I could maintain my distance until the hills came.  That's when they would easily pass me while walking.  I realized several of these runners were 100Kers and runners with pacers.  Even though, I was still frustrated.  I was also greatly appreciative and amazed how generous other runners were.  Numerous runners as they passed me, would ask if I was ok and offered assistance like food, salt, etc.  It rained about four times during the race.  The last rain came with thunderstorms about mile 80 and rained very hard for about 30 minutes.  This made the trail portions of the course very difficult, especially with horses running over it.  Also, the resulting fog was especially thick.  It was hard to see the trail surface along the course.  With the water and fog, I was very concerned about injuring myself.  I never did fall during the entire race but did trip twice.  The rain did offer me a much needed shower since I smelled like a sewer.  Unfortunately for one runner beside me, tripped, fell, and went face forward in the mud and horse manure.  I asked if he was ok and he said he was.  I could smell him as he continued on.....poor guy.  The medical staff weighed the runners three times along the course.  My first two weigh-ins were the same weight as I started but the last was a few pounds over.  I believe it was the result of weighing me with my fuel belt on and not my kidneys shutting down.  I was urinating, clear in color, through the entire race and stayed mentally alert.  I never felt sleepy, just really tired.  The last mile was really neat since the course had numerous glow sticks including one gallon clear jugs of water with glow sticks inside, lining the course.  The glowing sticks and jugs looked like giant fireflies in the dark woods.  I was so relieved to see the finish line in the distance.  It includes a bright red neon light spelling out "finish line" with metal silhouettes of horses with riders.  After the family met me at the numerous aid stations along the entire course since 4 am Saturday morning, they weren't at the finish line when I crossed.  They apologized over and over.  We all thought it was a little humorous.  The reason they weren't there is because I finished the last five miles faster than they anticipated.  My finish time was 22hrs51mins38secs (2:51 am Sunday).  I slowly shuffled to the finisher's tent and sat down and waited on the family to pass by.  I saw them and yelled "Steph".  Later, while laughing, the kids told me Stephanie's only response was "well shit!"  The second embarrassing moment actually came after I finished.  I was very hungry and couldn't resist the freshly fried eggs.  After eating, I got very nauseous.  The family quickly placed a trash can in front of me in case I needed to throw up.  First time ever.  Last thing I remember was sitting and leaning over the trash can.  Next thing I remember was the family telling me I had briefly passed out.  I left this part of the story out when I spoke to my parents.  Luckily Garrett noticed me passing out and restrained me so I didn't fall head first into the trash can.  Well, when you pass out, you get the attention of Vermont's great medical staff.  According to the staff, blood pooled in my legs, additional blood was drawn from my brain to my stomach after eating, and blood pressure dropped (70/40) resulting in passing out….Vasovagal Syncope.  Very common but uncommon to me.  Then I was one of about 15 other runners resting on the medical cots.  After resting about 30 minutes, slowly eating chicken broth and a burger, we were able to leave.  I needed the kids help walking to the van, lifting my legs up and placing them inside the van, and removing my clothes when we got back to the motel.  A refreshing shower and teeth brushing were wonderful!  Even though I didn't finish as strong and as soon as I wanted, I was still able to finish under 24 hours and receive the coveted Vermont 100 Belt Buckle.  Still very pleased with my results.  My feet held up really good.  No blisters and I believe I will keep all of my toenails.  I can't describe how important it was including emotionally uplifting for my family to be out on the course with me.  Yes, the race is tough for the runners but also tough for the crews.  I'm even more impressed and have a greater appreciation with the faster Vermont finishing times during this race and previous races. This includes local Huntsville runners too.  The 100 miler numbers:  finished 75th out of 318 starters (top 24 percent); 221 runners finished; 30 percent didn't finish.  My right knee took a pounding, was physically bruised, and is still slightly swollen after two days but still did several miles of walking yesterday in Bar Harbor, Maine and hiking in Acadia National Park today.  The knee will be fine shortly.  Next:  continue the Carr two week vacation, document Vermont 100 lessons learned, and a few questions for the Youngrens in preparation of November's Pinhoti 100.  And once again, thanks Stephanie for your support before, during, and after the race.......I'll never forget it!  Steven


http://vermont100endurancerun.blogspot.com/


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment