The Georgia Jewel 100


24 - 25 September 2016
This was my seventh 100 mile endurance race attempt within the last 25 months including six finishes.  The Georgia Jewel Endurance Race was an out and back course on the Pinhoti single track trail through the Chattahoochee National Forest in northwest Georgia.  The race was 103.8 miles long and consisted of 32,106' of elevation change.  The race started and ended at the Dalton Convention Center with a 5 AM start and a 32 hour cutoff.  My first goal was to finish and my second goal was to finish under 24 hours since two of my previous 100 mile races had similar elevation change and I had finished under 24 hours.  This was my third race without the assistance of a crew or pacer.  Do date, I have never used a pacer.  I checked out my competition using ultrasignup.com and believed I could possibly finish 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.  The strongest runners were Meg (30 years old) from Maryland and Shaun (41 years old) from Georgia.  This was the smallest race I had ever run relative to the number of runners.  A total of 24 runners started.  The race also included 35 and 50 mile distances.  Those runners were shuttled to different starting locations and all runners eventually finished at the Dalton Convention Center.  As the 100 milers ran the out leg, the 35 and 50 milers would pass us on the trail. 



Prerace:

The prerace packet pickup and meeting were held at Dalton’s Hilton Garden Inn where I stayed.  It was very nice, convenient and the starting line was only ½ mile away.  I set my alarm for 3:30 AM but unfortunately, only got about four hours sleep.  Even though I’m excited and nervous before these 100 mile races, I generally get about six hours sleep which is really good.  The hotel offered a free breakfast to the runners so I went downstairs to eat.  I met a few runners including Meg. 


Prerace Packet Pickup
Prerace Meeting
Race Director Jenny Baker

Course Map
Drop Bag Drop Off
Running Bracelet (No Bibs)


Awaiting Race Start
I arrived at the start at 4:30 AM and checked in.  I started with a headlamp, sun visor, hydration vest with two 16 ounce bottles, and my modified shirt.  I knew it was going to be hot so I ask my mother-in-law Jill to alter the shirt’s neck to make it as cool and comfortable as possible.  A few days later, I decided to cut the bottom off following the outline of my hydration vest.  It was totally functional, cooler, and would prevent chaffing.  Esthetically pleasing?  Not at all!  Stephanie couldn’t believe I was going to wear this and she called it the “Richard Simmons” look!  The prerace mood was very low key with race director Jenny Baker saying a few inspirational words before the start.  At 5 AM, Jenny told everyone to “start and see you back here later.” 

Race start video:  https://www.facebook.com/caitlyn.krueger.5/videos/10209675980810003/

My plan was to run and walk based on how I felt without a predetermined run/walk pace and time.  As the race started, I led the way for about two miles when Meg caught up with me.  We ran together for a few miles, chatted about the race, running, and family, and then she decided to pass me with her headlamp appearing in front of me from time to time but eventually fading in the darkness.  About mile eight, runner Shaun appeared behind me and we exchanged introductions.  About the same time, the sun was beginning to rise and the welcoming sunlight made running over the numerous rocks easier but I kept my headlamp on for the added light.  Shaun mentioned we would be out of “the rock garden” soon since he remembered this portion of the course from last year’s 50 mile race.  He ran behind me until we arrived at the first aid station, Stover, mile 9.9. 



Stover Aid Station

I settled into a comfortable running pace and walked the steep uphill portions.  If I felt the need to walk, I did to save energy for later in the race.  After covering 7.2 miles, I arrived at the second aid station, Snake Creek Gap, mile 17.1.  This aid station was located in the valley, on a gravel parking lot next to a paved road.  Sometimes it’s confusing which way to go when leaving the aid stations so I asked for directions and a volunteer ran with me to the end of the parking lot and pointed me in the correct direction.  I really appreciated that personal attention.  It was 8:18 AM. 




Peaceful Pinhoti Trail
The next aid station was John’s Mountain, eight miles away.  This first section included climbing Horn Mountain (~450’ gain) and then descending to the second water stop at mile 20.1.  Before the race, the race director informed the runners that this water stop was actually going to be manned.  As I was descending Horn Mountain, I felt really good and was running at a good pace even though this single track trail included numerous rocks that were potential tripping hazards.  About 100’ from the water stop, my right foot tripped over a grapefruit size rock and I fell.  My right knee and outside leg impacted several rocks as I slid down the trail with dust rising over me.  Before these trail races, you know you will fall but just don’t know when and how many times.  You just hope not to get injured.  I slowly stood up and looked at my knee and leg and noticed the impact had lacerated a V shape below my knee along with several bad scrapes.  I pulled back the skin and realized I needed stitches but knew it would take a long time to clean and stitch, and would negatively impact my race placement and finish time.  I walked the 100’ to the water stop and asked the volunteers with they would throw water on the injury in an attempt to wash away some of the dirt.  One grabbed his water bottle and threw some water on it and I placed a Band-Aid over the cut.  I didn’t believe there was any long term damage but realized this injury will begin to get very sore as the race continued.  After leaving the water stop, I walked a few minutes but then felt comfortable running again. 
Pink Flagging Tape Marking Course
The race goes on.  I soon passed Pilcher’s Pond and later ran by public restrooms where the single track trail begins the ~900’ climb to the top of John’s Mountain.  Oh my goodness!  The odor!  The restrooms were pit toilets and I could smell them for a long time.  I’m sure I ran faster to separate myself from this unpleasant portion of the course.  As I climbed John’s Mountain, the temperature was beginning to rise.  Luckily, my body does fairly well with the heat.  I’m extremely cold natured, rarely use my vehicle’s air conditioner during the summer, and wear a jacket and use a heater in my office year round.  In preparation for this race and just like other races, I will lose three to four pounds for running efficiency but most importantly, allowing my body to better dissipate heat.  So I weighed 121.8 pounds prerace.  Yes, this is weight zone I call the “freakish zone”.  Very emaciated in appearance but very effective.  I actually caught up and passed Shaun since he was having heat issues.  About mile 23.5, the trail turned to solid rock along a ridgeline, with very nice scenic overlooks into the valley below.  Shortly after, Shaun and I climbed the numerous stone steps which included the assistance of hand railing. 

Stone Steps & Hand Railing Leading to Top of John's Mountain 
Once we reached the top, the Keown Falls overlook deck was on our left.  I quickly glanced at the beautiful valley below and continued on.  A short distance later, I arrived at the third aid station, John’s Mountain, mile 25.1. 

John's Mountain Aid Station


John's Mountain Aid Station & Overlook

My cut had begun to bleed down my leg and looked worse than it felt.  I had a volunteer offer to place butterfly strips on my cut but I politely declined.  No time to waste.  It was 10:04 AM.

I left the aid station and began running down the mountain on a gravel road.  I felt really good and was running at a fast pace; ~8:15min/mile.  Several 35 mile runners were heading up the mountain so we passed each other with the typical comment “good job.”  The course was marked with pink flagging tape with night reflectors on the tape ends which were generally attached to tree limbs, small red flags stuck in the ground, and a few white directional signs.  The race director mentioned that logging companies also used pink flagging tape to designate logging areas.  Using the same colors was concerning before and during the race.  As I continued down the road and mountain, I noticed I wasn’t seeing any additional 35 mile runners or course markings.  An aid station volunteer or runner crew member was driving up the mountain so I stopped and asked them where the race trail was located and they told me to continue down the road, take a left on the paved road, and I would soon see the trail with markings.  So I did.  I came to a trail which had flagging tape across it but the trail was marked closed.  I was getting very frustrated now!  I turned around and headed back to the gravel road that went to the top of John’s Mountain.  My plan was to go back up to the aid station and ask for directions.  I didn’t want to go back up the mountain unless absolutely necessary since it meant climbing ~900’.  As I was running back up the gravel road, another volunteer or crew vehicle approached going up the mountain.  I asked them where the race trail was located and they sent me back to the paved road and said take a right.  They had earlier seen runners crossing the road.  They offered me a ride to that location but I declined knowing this would be a disqualification.  So I turned around and proceeded in that direction based on their guidance.  After taking a right and running about ¾ of a mile down the paved road at a fast pace since I was mad, I didn’t see any runners or trails.  I then decided to turn around and go back up the mountain where I originally came.  I realized the race from a placement and good finish time was over for me.  The lowest I have ever been emotionally since I had been running 100 milers.  I realized all the time consuming training and dedication was just thrown out the window and I should have brought a copy of the course description.  I also admit, I realized my ultrasignup.com overall point average from all of my ultra races was going to drop.  For you other ultra runners, you know what I’m talking about!  Admit it!  I was pissed and mad!  I now just wanted to finish the race and frustratingly, my finish time would not reflect my training, conditioning, and preparation.  As I walked back up the mountain, three 100 miler runners were approaching.  At the same time, a vehicle was driving down the mountain so I stopped the driver to ask for assistance.  They mentioned the course turned left off of the road, about 1/2 mile from the mountain’s top.  These three runners too had missed the turn.  I finally reached the correct turnoff and noticed only one flagging tape and a few red flags to signal the turnoff.  All of my other races always included directional signs at junctions.  This race course did not!  I had run an extra 4.5 miles with about 1000’ of elevation gain.  It was 11:07 AM.  I continued on the single track trail, down the mountain, to water stop #3, mile 30.2. 

The next aid station, Manning Road, mile 34 is only one of two drop bag aid stations.  This course section included the only two creek crossings which were shallow due to the drought.  When crossing water, I always attempt to keep my shoes and feet as dry as possible.  Unfortunately, my shoes and feet got wet.  Fortunately, since it was so hot and dry, my shoes and feet soon dried.  I never have changed into dry shoes and socks during a race including when my feet were wet for over 22 hours. 


Creek Crossing Prior to Manning Road Aid Station
I arrived at Manning Road and it was the busiest aid station so far based on number of volunteers and runners.  I asked what place I was in and was told 11th.  My heart sank.  I was still upset but continued on. 


The next aid station was Narrow’s Road located at mile 40.6 and 6.6 miles away.  My revised plan was now to pass as many runners as possible to move up relative to placement.  I began to pass a few runners and found out two other runners had also missed the course turnoff descending John’s Mountain.  A short time later, I came up on Shaun again.  He was continuing to have heat issues and was sitting on the trail in an attempt to cool down.  He didn’t look well.  I asked him if he needed assistance and he said no, so I continued on.  I arrived at Narrow’s Road, quickly grabbed some food and fluid, and headed out. 

The next aid station was Ballingers at mile 51.9, a drop bag station which is also the halfway and turnaround point.  The distance from Narrow’s Road to Ballingers is 11.3 miles.  A very long distance with one water stop at mile 46.9.  On the way to the water stop, I was feeling good and continued running at a good pace down a gravel road.  I soon stopped seeing flagging tape and red flags.  The race director mentioned flags were spaced around 1/4 mile apart.  I ran for about ½ mile and came to a fork in the road with no race markings and realized I had missed a second turnoff.  It was 2:39 PM.  Once again, pissed!  I turned around, ran back, and noticed were the course had turned off onto single track trail.  No signs, just flagging tape and flags.  I was having to pass a few runners that I had passed earlier.  After reaching the fourth water stop, a majority of the course was exposed to sunlight.  As a result, it was getting really hot.  I’m guessing it was the predicted daily high temperature of 93 degrees.  I passed one runner who was carrying an arrow; yes, carrying an arrow.  He mentioned there were only two runners ahead of me and one was female.  He mentioned the male runner was having heat issues.   A common theme for this race.  I made the assumption the female runner was Meg.  About 1.5 miles from Ballingers, the course followed a dirt road under power lines, up and over several extremely steep hills.  Several portions required slow ascending and descending on loose dry rock plus lots of unintentional sliding while using your hands to contact the ground in an attempt to prevent falling. 


Steep Trail Under Power Lines




I noticed Meg was coming towards me and she had picked up a pacer.  She looked strong and was in the lead by about three miles.  It was 5:07 PM when I arrived at Ballingers.  One volunteer informed me that Meg was having kidney issues and her urine was the color of Coca-Cola; not good.  The other runner had arrived earlier and had dropped out of the race.  I quickly ate some food and had a volunteer stuff some additional food in the back of my hydration pack.  There were several people cheering me on when I arrived and departed.  It’s always surprising how much of an emotional lift this is can be.








Third and fourth place runners were only about one and two miles behind me.  The close proximity and competition was exciting.  I never believed I could catch Meg but concentrated on placing greater separation between myself and the third and fourth place runners.  I was surprised how much fluid I was consuming due to the heat.  Typically for other races, I will fill my two hydration bottles but only consume ½ to 3/4th of the fluid.  Of course, these races are run during cooler times of the year.  When I arrived at the aid stations, I would fill my hydration bottles or most of the time, volunteers would fill.  I would also drink plenty of fluids provided by the aid stations.  I would do the same at the water stops but also wash my face and arms.  This felt wonderful and would refresh me but also cooled my body.  Of course you can’t do anything about the body odor.  Oh boy, did I stink!   On the return, I kept telling myself “don’t take a wrong turn and stay focused.”  I passed a volunteer pickup truck and they had two runners in the back.  I make the assumption these runners decided to drop from the race.

Sunset
The temperature at 7 PM was around 90 degrees.  As the sun began to set, the temperature slowly began to lower which was very nice and welcoming.  I always look forward to running after sunset.  I’m very comfortable running alone after dark, even while being very tired.  When I reached water stop #5, I noticed there was plenty of water in one and two gallon containers on a table; therefore, I quickly washed my face, arms, and hands to refresh and cool my body.  As I approached Narrow’s Road aid station, it was already completely dark, and a female volunteer approached me on the trail and asked if I had seen a female and male runner.  I responded I had not and soon arrived at Narrow’s Road.  The first aid station tent was manned by HAM radio operators and first aid volunteers.  I requested they contact the finish line volunteers and inform them I would be requesting stiches when I completed the race.  One volunteer told me they won’t stich a cut after six hours and suggested they clean and bandage my injury now.  I politely declined their offer since I knew this process would cost me valuable race time.  I could see the first aid volunteers were frustrated with me by their facial expressions. 
I then walked to the second tent which contained food and drink.  I was informed that Meg and her pacer had not yet arrived at Narrow’s Road and were missing.  I was also informed I was now in first place.  I was concerned for Meg and her pacer but I also held back tears since I was in first place.  I had overcome a lot of adversity since falling and taking two wrong turns, this result was very emotional.  Just like all aid station stops, I quickly ate some food and drank some caffeinated fluids, placed some food in my running vest, filled my hydration bottles, and asked for directions out of the aid station. 

Manning Aid Station
When I approached Manning Road aid station, my injured leg was becoming more sore and when I walked, more stiff.  When I arrived, I asked one of the volunteers if they would pour hydrogen peroxide on my cut.  With about four volunteer looking on, one female volunteer started pouring on my cut.  I deliberately starting screaming as a joke.  It scared the volunteer and everyone started laughing when I told them I was only joking.  She also placed a clean bandage over my cut since my Band-Aid had fallen off long ago.  One volunteer mentioned numerous runners were dropping out, very few were left on the course, and “it’s your race to lose.”  As I ran a short distance, the newly applied bandage fell off. 
I arrived at water stop #6 (10:45 PM) and in an attempt to open one of the full two gallon water jugs, the spout broke off and water began to continually pour onto the ground.  I took this opportunity to wash not only my face, arms, and hands, but my entire head.  It felt so good!  As I headed out, there was a road intersection including three route possibilities.  Go left, straight, or right.  I didn’t see any course markings, couldn’t remember the correct path from earlier in the day so I chose to go straight.  I proceeded down the road for about 1/3 mile but never saw any course markings so I turned around.  When I arrived back at the intersection, I then saw a few red flags and realized I should have taken a right.  Pissed again!  Even after taking this wrong turn, I would occasionally come to a clearing in the woods and look up.  No clouds, just thousands of stars brightly shining.  Oh my goodness, how beautiful!  This is one of the reasons I keep signing up for 100 mile races.  These peaceful, tranquil, and rewarding moments.  It seemed like this portion of the course had lots of deer and armadillos.  I would startle the deer and hear them running through the woods.  I would shine my headlamp in their direction and would occasionally see glowing eyes, sometimes, a few pairs staring back at me.  And for the armadillos, they are extremely noisy especially next to the trails.  Next aid station, John’s Mountain including the highest climb during the race.

When I arrived at John’s Mountain (12:22 AM, Sunday), I was very tired and surprised how hot it was at the top of the mountain.  After the race, my GPS watch recorded 82.4 degrees.  I was expecting cooler temperatures at this time of night and higher elevation.  One volunteer mentioned a runner was about 30 minutes behind me.  Based on how I felt, I told them the runner would probably soon catch me since I was spent.  With only 25.1 miles to go, this is the point in 100 mile races when it starts getting physically tough.  I rarely concentrate on the distance to the finish line but focus on making it to the next aid station as fast as possible.  You're never sure how your body is going to respond after moving forward after so many hours.  With all this said, this can be the most rewarding time during the race.  This is when your physical and mental training and preparation pays dividends and don't forget, you chose to be here.  I asked the volunteers if they would pour some hydrogen peroxide on my injury and they did.  Just like the first time, lots of foam and it stung badly.  After leaving the aid station, I soon arrived at Keown Falls overlook deck and started my steep descent via stone steps.  I could see lights in the far distance coming from the valley; very pretty and peaceful.  It was very difficult going down the stairs with tired legs including my injured leg.  I found myself relaying on the handrails.  This area of the course at night, especially being on a rock ledge, was a little creepy.  As I continued descending John’s Mountain, the temperature began to slightly (73.4 degrees) fall and I was feeling relatively good; therefore, I attempted to run as much as possible to provide as much separation between me and the next runner.  I passed water stop #7 and then walked by the rock that I had tripped over which resulted in my injury.  I quickly gave it a mean stare and continued up Horn Mountain.

When I arrived at Snake Creek Gap aid station (3:04 AM, 77 degrees), one volunteer eagerly greeted me while the other was asleep in a chair.  I got tickled when the sleeping volunteer’s dog barked at me and startled and woke him.  The volunteer informed me I was about one hour in front of the closest runner.  This excited me since I had placed greater distance between me and the next runner and gave me much needed enthusiasm to continue pushing forward. 

Stover Aid Station HAM Radio Volunteers

I arrived at Stover aid station, the last station before the finish.  The volunteers graciously greeted me and told me the closest runner had not yet left Snake Creek Gap aid station which was 7.2 miles away.  I estimated that I had about one hour and 45 minute advantage over the second place runner and felt very confident that I could win the race if I didn’t miss another turnoff.  Only 9.9 miles to go.  As I left the aid station, I continued telling myself to “stay focused.” 






A few miles later, the sun began to rise.  I could hear trucks traveling on Interstate 75 in the distance and also a train.  I love trains!  The train’s whistle smoothly echoed through the valley…..goose bumps for me!  Once the sun rose, I turned off my headlamp.  Occasionally I would hear, or it seemed like, faint voices behind me in the woods.  I thought this could be a runner and pacer approaching so I would run as much and as fast as possible.  This portion of the course, once again, was “the rock garden.”  A very difficult portion to run since it consisted of lots of protruding rocks which made it very easy to trip especially when your legs are very tired.  Soon after, I tripped and fell my third and final time.  My fear was that I was going to fall on my injured leg again.  Luckily when I went down, I quickly placed my arms and hands out and I was able to prevent my torso and legs from hitting the rocks and ground.  Doing pushups during training was invaluable in this situation.   A few miles later, I exited the woods onto the last paved road section.  I realized I only had about one mile to go which was mostly downhill.



Finish Line

I tried to run as fast as I could but would occasionally look behind me to make sure a runner wasn’t approaching; I was paranoid.  My previous 100 mile race, Thunder Rock, I was able to maintain 2nd and 3rd place for most of the race until a runner and pacer passed me with only 6 miles to go and finished 4th.  I didn’t want that to happen again, especially within the last mile.  Two vehicles slowed down to encourage me on.  Very nice gesture.  I soon saw the finish line area and continued running.  I ran as fast as I could until I finished.  27 hours and 3 seconds; first place; 8:00 AM Sunday, 75 degrees.



Post-race:

I was congratulated by the race director, volunteers, and Meg who dropped at mile 90.  One volunteer offered to drive my van closer so I didn’t have to walk very far.  This was great.  Once my van arrived, I got my phone and texted Stephanie including a picture of my injured leg. 
Injured Knee and Leg
Nurse Monica
I sat down at the finish line and began to eat.  The pizza tasted really good since I was hungry.  Nurse Monica offered to clean my wound but I told her I didn’t want her to initially clean it since it was really dirty so I cleaned it first.  I then took a water jug shower standing next to the van and it felt great!  I attempted to wash away the dirt and stench!  Following that, I had Monica do the final cleaning and bandaging.  She did a wonderful job.  I continued eating and resting while we waited on other runners to finish. 
Awaiting Other Finishers
I spoke with Meg and learned of her experiences.  She and her pacer missed a turnoff, was lost in the woods at night, but most concerning was running out of food and fluid.  She was disappointed not finishing but still enjoyed the race and camaraderie with fellow runners.  At 10:09 and 10:23AM, second and third place runners finished.  I later learned that Shaun had dropped too.  Soon after, Jenny presented us top three finishers with a Georgia Jewel belt buckle and me a first place cedar trophy. 
1st Place Trophy & Finisher's Belt Buckle
















Before I left to drive home, I thanked Jenny for her time and selfless dedication for coordinating a wonderful race.  What did Jenny do?  She gave me a hug.  Enough said.  I truly appreciated not only Jenny, but all of the race staff and volunteers for their time and devotion.  If it wasn’t for wonderful people like themselves, races like these would never take place.  Later, feedback was requested from the race staff and I highly suggested all course junctions be marked with directional signage.  The race staff and runners all learn from each race.  Even though I was initially disappointed with my finish time, I'm now very pleased with it considering the tough course, conditions, missed turnoffs, and injury.  This race course was tough, lots of elevation change, and the hot temperatures provided a challenging and competitive race for all.  The numerous ridgelines and overlooks into the valleys below were incredible.  The night before the race, I posted on my Facebook page "It's not just about the running but setting goals, experiences along the way, learning about yourself during adversity, runners and people you meet, acquired memories, and the unknown.”  Wow, this statement definitely held true during and after the race.  For me, the race was fun and a wonderful experience while offering a type of transcendence, but most importantly, a great teachable moment for my children in overcoming adversity and never giving up.

Lessons Learned:

  • Bring “course description” printout during race
  • Never give up

The Numbers: 

  • 24 starters, 6 finishers (75% did not finish)
  • I was the oldest finisher, 49 years old
  • Average age of the other five finishers, 31 years old
  • As a result of missing three turnoffs, I covered an additional 6 miles resulting in a total race distance of 110 milesand scar. No tattoo needed. Following the race and about to drive back home, I thanked Jenny for putting on a great race and her devoted time. And guess what Jenny did? Gave me hug. ace has unknowns but when they will appear is an unknown."

3 comments:

  1. Great race report Steven. Glad the Richard Simmons shirt got mentioned. The last paragraph is quite powerful and really spoke to me. You are a beast my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you, Steven! I am always amazed at your training and your endurance in the midst of adversity. Way to go!!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great report, what an adventure. Congratulation on your 1st place finish. When is your next race? Looks like you're well on your way to have an excellent resume for that Badwater application. Best of luck on your next race. Mark

    ReplyDelete